In light of the mission, vision and values of the Bank of Lithuania, the Board of the Bank of Lithuania identified five strategic directions for the upcoming four-year period (2017–2020). Specific objectives were set for each strategic direction. We seek to:
1) Become a centre of excellence in economics and finance
Our aim is to become an opinion leader in areas related to economic policy and financial markets both in Lithuania and abroad. We plan to:
- strengthen our organisation’s intellectual potential in priority areas;
- become a centre of excellence in economic and financial system-related analysis and policy;
- extend the positive influence of the Bank of Lithuania and enhance its reputation in the international arena.
2) Become a financial sector partner, promoting innovation and sustainable growth
Our aim is to create and maintain a supportive environment, stimulating competitiveness and innovations in the field of finances. To this end, the Bank of Lithuania is ready to act as a financial sector partner. We plan to:
- create an advanced and attractive regulatory and supervisory environment within the financial sector;
- introduce innovation in the public services provided by the Bank of Lithuania;
- encourage competition in the financial sector.
3) Create a competitive and advanced payments market in Lithuania
Our aim is to create a competitive and advanced payments market in Lithuania. We plan to:
- boost competition in the payments market;
- promote instant payments;
- increase the volume of electronic payments in the public sector;
- establish a competitive Bank of Lithuania infrastructure used at an international level.
4) Enhance the application of financial asset investment strategies
Our aim is to use quantitative strategies alongside methods for investing financial assets by computerising market monitoring and eventually trusting carefully selected algorithms with part of investment decision-making. We plan to:
- develop analysis- and trade-related infrastructure through quantitative strategies;
- improve the overall investment portfolio return and risk profile by applying quantitative strategies and other implemented measures.
5) Be one of the top three most efficient central banks in the Nordic-Baltic region
Our aim is to become one of the top three most efficient central banks in the Nordic-Baltic region. We plan to:
- increase efficiency of operations;
- introduce technological and infrastructural changes;
- rationally use financial and human resources.