New Data on the Liquidity in the Banking System
As of today, data on the liquidity in the banking system will be published on the Bank of Lithuania internet site (www.lbank.lt), in the Statistics section. This information will be made available by 9 a.m. on each business day and will include the following data:
· Total required reserves of resident commercial banks in litas and foreign currencies during the current maintenance period;
· Total current account holding of resident commercial banks at the Bank of Lithuania at the end of the previous business day;
· Total average current account holdings of resident commercial banks at the Bank of Lithuania during the previous days of the maintenance period;
· The total amount of currency outside the Bank of Lithuania by the end of the previous business day;
· The total amount of overnight loans granted by the Bank of Lithuania to resident commercial banks by the end of the previous business day.
The information is published with the aim of increasing the transparency of the banking sector and the stability of the interbank market. Publication of daily data on the reserves in the Lithuanian banking system and management of reserve requirements should increase the stability of the Lithuanian interbank market. The availability of the data about the total accumulation of required reserves will enable the banks to take better management decisions and expand the possibilities of the interbank market.
For further information, please contact Mr Darius Abazorius, Deputy Director, Monetary Policy Department (tel. +370-2-680 103).