Bank of Lithuania awards for scientific activities
Awards for scientific activities
The Bank of Lithuania grants two awards for scientific activities: the Vladas Jurgutis Award (EUR 10 thousand) and the Bank of Lithuania Award for Dissertation in the Field of Economics (EUR 5 thousand).
Vladas Jurgutis Award
The Vladas Jurgutis Award pays tribute to Prof Vladas Jurgutis, the first Governor of the Bank of Lithuania, and his merits to banking in Lithuania. The Award is granted for significant scientific research works of Lithuanian economists or foreign economists linked with Lithuanian education institutions carried out within the last five years – published scientific papers, monographs or books. Priority is given to the following subjects: activities of the central bank, monetary policy, macroprudential policy, payments and settlements, investment and other subjects related to the activities of the Bank of Lithuania.
Bank of Lithuania Award for Dissertation in the Field of Economics
The Award is granted to honour the authors of the best dissertations in economics or related fields, defended over the last two years until August 1 of the current year. Priority is given to the following subjects: activities of the central bank, monetary policy, macroprudential policy, payments and settlements, investment, etc.
The Bank of Lithuania granted the first award for significant and relevant research work on banking in 1990. It was given to Vladas Terleckas for his monograph Pinigai Lietuvoje 1915–1944 (Money in Lithuania 1915–1944).
The Vladas Jurgutis Award, established in 1997, was granted eight times to twelve researchers.
- 2018: Agnė Kajackaitė, Uri Gneezis and Joel Sobel for collective work "Lying Aversion and the Size of the Lie"
- 2015: Gediminas Vaskela for his monograph National Aspects in Lithuania’s Economic Policy, 1919–1940
- 2012: Vladas Terleckas for his monograph Banking in Lithuania 1795–1915
- 2010: Historian Dr habilitatus Antanas Tyla for The Treasury of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania During Twenty Years of War 1648–1667 and economist Dr Vytautas Valvonis for his work carried out over the last five years in the field of banking, particularly credit risk management, also for the practical benefits in improving risk management in banks, enhancing the soundness of banking operations
- 2008: Arunas Dulkys, Juozas Galkus and Stanislovas Sajauskas for Lithuanian Coins
- 1999: Vladas Terleckas for his books and articles, published from 1995 to 1999, on the history of Lithuanian banking
- 1998: Stasys Sajauskas and Dominykas Kaubrys for Numismatics of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania
- 1997: Prof Alfonsas Zilenas for influential work in the fields of banking and finance
In April 2017, the Board of the Bank of Lithuania amended the Provisions on Granting the Vladas Jurgutis Award and established the new Award for Dissertation in the Field of Economics.