Exchange of litas into euro
Have you found some litas and want to exchange them into euro? Visit the Bank of Lithuania cash offices in Vilnius (Žirmūnų g. 151) or Kaunas (Maironio g. 25) and we will exchange them into euro free of charge. This service will be available for an unlimited time with no limit on the amount.
What do you need to know about litas exchange into euro at the Bank of Lithuania?
- At our cash offices, litas coins and banknotes are exchanged free of charge.
- When exchanging litas into euro, have your ID with you (please present your ID whenever executing a monetary transaction at the Bank of Lithuania cash office).
- Litas are exchanged into euro in unlimited amounts; however, if the total value exceeds EUR 15,000 or where there is suspicion (117 KB ), you may be asked to fill out a Customer Identification Form.
- Litas coins that you bring are conveniently calculated with litas coin counting machines, installed at the cash offices.
- Do you own damaged or stained litas? We can also exchange them into euro if they meet certain characteristics. For more information, click here.
- Have you found litas that are no longer legal tender? At our cash offices you can exchange litas of all issues from 1991.
- Litas are exchanged into euro only during the opening hours of the Bank of Lithuania cash offices.
Litas banknotes withdrawn from circulation
As of 16 January 2015, litas is no longer legal tender. At the Bank of Lithuania cash offices, you can exchange any amount of litas banknotes, issued from 1991, free of charge for an unlimited period of time.
Litas coins withdrawn from circulation
As of 16 January 2015, litas is no longer legal tender. At the Bank of Lithuania cash offices, you can exchange any amount of litas coins, issued from 1991, free of charge for an unlimited period of time.